Saturday 8 November 2014

My version of Matcha serving bowl

I am looking for a cheaper matcha chawan (bowl) or matcha serving bowl with a spout like what Ippodo sells in their online shop. It is not essential items to have to make matcha, but to me it would add to the experience/ complete the experience. I mean, if you eat dessert such as cake, it would be nice to use dessert plate rather than dinner plate? So, on Friday upon my lunch walk, I stopped by at Homesense. As you know, place like Homesense and Winners are a place to find some nice treasures which you can't find at regular shops. Plus Homesense/ Winners (same parent company) usually offer pretty good price.

You might think, "What's with the matcha serving bowl with spout?" Well, if I want to serve matcha for me and hubby and both of us want to have and enjoy it at the same time, this is when this kind of bowl be useful. The one from Ippodo measured at 130mm (5") wide & 80mm (3") high. This is my guide so that I won't just buy any bowl which can be too small or to wide.



Then I spotted this simple, clean cut and pretty bowl with a spout. I measured the width and thought it was a bit bigger (6") and shorter than what I was looking for. The spout was pointy and narrow rather than wide and 'open' which is what I was aiming for.




But at $3 it was a steal! I picked it up anyway and have used it today. It was fine, not perfect, because I was right when I was thinking it would be too wide and spout was too narrow: upon pouring the matcha on the cup/ tea bowl, it drip down on the side of the serving bowl. Also, the wider width made the tea to cool down too quickly.

Below picture, I put the chasen (whisk) inside the bowl as well as chasaku (matcha spoon) to give the idea of how big is the bowl compares to the chasen and chasaku.


I will remain on the look for the perfect matcha serving bowl. In the mean time, this one will do. At least I'm taking my time now (read: taking a break) from looking for matcha chawan (bowl) and use any small bowl we have in the house :)



No comments:

Post a Comment