Saturday 1 November 2014

Review - Electric toothbrush



I regularly visit my dentist, I meant regularly every four months. I floss before I go to bed at night, brush my teeth twice a day. Still, I was scheduled for cleaning every four months.
My recent visit was different. Not in a good sense. The Hygienist did what they call Periodontal Prob. It was to measure pocket depths around a tooth. As she probed a tooth at a time, front and back, she would speak up a number, ranging from 1 to 5 (in my case). The higher the number, the deeper the pocket, equal bad news. I didn't want to hear 4 or 5. But that was exactly what I got for few of my teeth. Because of that, I was asked to come every three months! I was thinking, what I could do to improve the health of my teeth. Surely the non-fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash were not the reason for this. In fact, I'm happy that we have made the decision to switch to natural toothpaste because of health reason. Fluoride is killing people slowly! Although, we are still drinking the tap water which has fluoride in it...sad.

The next day at the office, I shared the story to my colleague, and she said she used to have the same issue as mine. She realized there must be something wrong with her method of brushing or flossing. She then bought this electric toothbrush and tried it on for 3 months. Then she went for her regular cleaning session when the Dentist praised her teeth. It's improved and the result have been stabilized ever since. 

I've always thought that electric toothbrush is just a gimmick or made for lazy people (I was so wrong). Until I did some reading about it and decided to try it out myself. I read some reviews on Oral-B and Phillips, both have good and bad reviews. Few of the consumers complaint was that they spent so much money on the higher end electric toothbrush but it failed to work after few months. Others said for the middle range price were also won't even charge when it first came out of its package. So many issues, it got me confused. Thank God that few days later, while I was still reading about electric toothbrushes, few of drugstores had promotion on Oral-B which was actually what I had come down to after making my shortlist. I bought the Oral-B Vitality Sensitive.  First try, I liked it although I found it a bit weird; the feeling of something buzzing near your ear in a fast paced speed....ticklish...just unusual feeling. Second try, I LOVED IT! My teeth felt super clean and I didn't feel bothered with the buzzing sensation anymore. My question to my husband was, why didn't we use this sooner?? Ha..ha..ha...

I highly recommend Oral-B Vitality Sensitive electric toothbrush. I bought it on sale for $19.99 (regular price is from $31.99 to $34.99). I don't need the other features such as pressure measurement, how well you clean your teeth etc. which what makes the price so expensive. Even the $200 one failed only after a few months of used. That will be so annoying. So, from the first time I used my brush on Monday, used two times a day, It still worked on Wednesday night. I charged it for about an hour on Thursday morning and on Saturday it still worked. The only downside I can think of is the two minutes timer. When it reaches two minutes of brushing teeth, the machine will pulsate to notify that two minutes is done. Because even though the way I did my brushing was methodical and didn't do any repetition on same tooth, the two minutes will be up before I finished brushing. Well, there may be something that is still not right with the method I use....I can only say, continuous learning always the best approach :)

No comments:

Post a Comment