Saturday 25 October 2014

Vitamix - Buy or not to buy

Since I love watching cooking program, I keep seeing the Chefs using this powerful blender, called Vitamix. Nope, I've never seen it on TV commercial.

Few years went by, and finally I decided it is time to purchase one. The price is extremely expensive if you see it from the stand point of "It is just a blender". But if you are willing to check out the reason behind the high cost, you will soon realize that rather than buying a blender once a year because it keep on failing on you and you end up paying more at the end of the day, why don't you invest in the best quality out there to last years and years. In a sense, you safe money and your health. Yes, your health! Because once you purchase a Vitamix, you will revamp your eating lifestyle. You will see that you eat more vegetables and fruits. How nice is it?

Okay, I'm not going to review the product it self because there are tons reviewers out there that can write better than I do. So, what I'm going to do here is to share with you the process of my thought before I finally purchased Vitamix.

Below were my questions to a guy who dedicated his website in reviewing blenders. He has comprehensive information about Vitamix and other blenders, too. I found him to be very helpful and always willing to answer my questions. He is the Blender Dude.


Question 1

MAPLE

Hi, I finally decided to buy Vitamix but I also just discovered that some people experiencing black residue when they use only clear water and blend it in their Vitamix for a test. Do you experience this? What do you think of this issue? Apperently Vitamix ackowledges it and sent replacement to customer who complaint…


BD

Maple, like Vitamix, I’m aware of the issue being reported by some Vitamix owners. It is not a common issue at this time but is certainly something which I will continue to monitor. I have performed the “white bowl” test with all my Vitamix containers and have never discovered any residue whatsoever. My advice to anyone concerned over this is to perform his or her own test. All Vitamix machines come with a 30-day no-risk money-back guarantee. And, if the issue is discovered after the warranty has expired, the containers, like the blenders, themselves, are guaranteed for 7 years (5 with certain models).

Update (10/23/14): I have just returned from meeting with Vitamix management in Cleveland and had a chance to discuss this issue with them, including the CEO and COO. At this time I am permitted to tell you that they are definitely aware of the issue and plan on releasing a formal statement on the matter in approximately 2 weeks.

Question 2

MAPLE

Hi BD, thank you for your reply regarding the black residue.

Thanks to your wonderful website, I’ve learned much about the different kind of Vitamix. Now, I’m down to two models: Total Nutrition Centre (TNC) & Pro 200. My main goal once I own it is to make smoothies and puree/ soup. The following is what I’m weighing about and hope you can help me make the right decision.

1. I know from one of your reply to other that Pro 200 is essentially 5200 in a CIA package. I also know from your comparison list that TNC has the same motor as 5200. Here in Ontario, Canada, the price of TNC directly from Vitamix.Ca is $579 before tax and Pro 200 from high end Department store (Hudson’s Bay) is $529.95 before tax. So apart from the different cookbook it comes from and other aesthetic differences (color), what are the differences in their performances, noise level, durability…? If I buy directly from Vitamix, I might need to pay for shipping cost (I’m not sure) so again, the price will adds up. But if the TNC performance significantly higher than Pro 200 than I don’t mind to go for TNC. What are your thoughts on this dilemma?

2. Do you know how old is Pro 200 and TNC (when was it first came out)?

3. Would you know if I don’t buy directly from Vitamix, do they honor the no-risk 30-days trial at home offer?

4. Do you think a more quite blending, pulse dial and extra .2 speed worth paying the extra $80? Hudson’s Bay has Pro 300 which cost $609.95 before tax. I hardly chop anything that needs chopper. But I thought I’d like to ask your thought on the extra charges for the features.

Thank you very much,
Maple

BD

Maple, you’re welcome and I appreciate the nice comments about the site. I will do my best to tackle your questions in order. The performances, noise levels, and durability of both of these models is identical. They are the very same blender, built on the very same platform with the very same parts. The only difference is the model name stamped on the front of the motor base housing. You would still be entitled to free shipping to Canada buying directly from Vitamix by using my authorized affiliate code, which is 06-005956.

The TNC model name predates the 200 but, again, this is essentially a non-issue as both blender models will be newly constructed with identical parts.

If you buy from an authorized Vitamix dealer you will be subject to the dealer’s return policy. However, Vitamix will still honor the warranty for the full term. Buying directly from Vitamix entitles you to their 30-day no-risk return policy.

Your final question is definitely more customer-specific. My blending needs might not be the same as yours. Hence, what is “best” for me might not be best for you. Personally, the noise-level differences in all of these models are relatively negligible. As well, you can pulse with any Vitamix model, not just the ones with a Pulse lever. This lever is very popular with many customers, though. The extra horsepower is somewhat negligible as well but there could be some peace of mind associate with knowing you have the strongest Vitamix motor out there. The 4″ blade and shorter, wider container that comes with a Pro 300 would probably be a bigger consideration for me, personally. But, ultimately, only you can put a price on how much these extra features will potentially be worth to you. Good luck!


Conclusion

MAPLE

Hi Jonathan,

I finally purchased Professional Series 300 (10/06/2014) and very happy with its performance. I just wanted to share the reasoning behind my purchased because it might help others making theirs. I also would like to thank you for helping me making the decision.

1. If I was willing to fork out a good chunk of money towards a blender, adding a bit more will get me the best. I don’t regret it at all. I knew it will last years and years and it is a wonderful investment for our health.

2. After I watched Blender Dude’s video about Vitamix Containers: Small Recipes, I knew that I was one step closer to go with the Professional Series.

3. The shorter (and wider) container won my heart. Kitchen faucet is kind of shallow so this height was perfect.

3. The extra power on the motor and longer blades were what sealed the deal for me to purchase this G-series. I don’t really care for the pulse lever but it’s good that it’s there :)

4. Noise-level is very loud when the variable is on 10. But It is to be expected from such a powerful motor.

Ps. I ran the test for the black residue and it was non-existent.

Happy blending everyone!
Maple

BD

Maple, congratulations on your Pro 300 and thank you very much for sharing everything that went into your buying decision. Happy blending!

No comments:

Post a Comment